Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Me, Before You by JoJo Moyes

Well, when your Mom recommends a book she read that was recommended to her by your sister...and then your good friend in Colorado also recommends it, you listen!   Here is what I said on Goodreads....


This is a remarkable book that went "where no book has gone before" in developing a relationship between a quadriplegic and his caregiver. Beyond that it gives voice to what makes life meaningful and valuable. A modern tale, a young woman with little going for her accepts a six month position caring for a thirty-five year old man who was disabled in an accident after "living large." The accident has left him despondent and his mother hopes this cheerful quirky young woman can give him a sense of happiness and hope about life again. He has already tried to commit suicide, and Louisa discovers this and begins to feel like she's been asked to be on "suicide watch" and resents it. He has a medical assistant who cannot be there all the time, and Lou isn't asked at first to assist with things she is uncomfortable with, but she struggles with her purpose there...and later with her rising feelings for the man in her care. It is delightful at times, even funny, as the two of them banter and become comfortable with one another. But it is also sad. More than that, it embraces what it means to have choices about one's life, and to live that life to its most full. Two people recommended this book to me, and I was very happy they had! An awesome read!

5 comments:

  1. yep, and I saw the movie and cried and cried but I also laughed and it made me feel good about living life to the fullest, what little of it you are given. I wasn't as happy with the second book ... I've even forgotten the name but I think it was something like "Me after you" or something or other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading the short story in your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a friend praise it too. Plus, my favorite actress is in the movie. I have to read this one as well. Thanks for the review! And for dropping by my creative writing blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are apparently a whole series of these books and I read a few pages of the second one and decided it wasn't for me. She hit the mark on this first book, and I am so glad I read it. But, I don't think there should have been a series that followed...most people can't pull that off. I will want to see the movie when I get a chance! Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for sharing this wonderful book and it's story which is really very interesting

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.