Friday, October 14, 2016

LaRose



"Our son will be your son now." 

The diminutive sentence above is the heart and soul of the haunting book LaRose by Louise Erdrich. It is an affecting story of loss, love and the lore of a whole culture of people in North Dakota.

I learned about Native American life in the book. The good and the bad. The old and the new. There were so many well drawn characters. Like the wise beyond his years LaRose. The 5 year old boy at the center of the story. But there are many namesake LaRose's hanging from the family tree like beautiful wind songs. We meet all of them in the book. The mystical backstory of the first LaRose, was my favorite part. 

The conflict occurs when Landreaux, LaRose's father, accidentally kills his neighbor's child while deer hunting. The lives of all of the central characters are subsequently torn apart.  Landreaux resorts to the old ways for guidance. He visits a sweat lodge and is compelled to give away his son, to make amends for the one he killed. 

I wish I would have purchased this book at our local Minneapolis book store, Birchbark Books, owned by the author. Because then I could have acquired a signed copy. It was so good.


7 comments:

  1. Marie's gonna love this one, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very interesting book. Haven't read many books on the Native American culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I hope so. It was a great book. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book does sound like a good one and I added it to my list! Looking forward to reading it! I hate to mention, Mom commented on this and didn't comment on my last review...ahem. Hey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is like a jigsaw puzzle for me right now. I seem to put one piece in one place and totally ignore a really good piece lying right next to it. But, I'll get the total picture done one of these days. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  5. Lovely review ~ Erdrich writes so well ~ love her work ~ thanks for the reminder!

    Wishing you a special week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.