Saturday, September 10, 2016

Honey in the Horn by H.L. Davis

Reminiscent of Mark Twain at times, and of Mari Sandoz...if you like that older style of writing, you will enjoy this delightful novel of a young man in early twentieth century Oregon.  It won the Harper Prize in 1935, and the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1936.  Read my Goodreads review below:


Honey in the Horn by H.L. Davis was a delightful journey through an era and a geographical place that I will not easily forget. This classic has been reprinted at various times throughout the years and I happened to catch one of the new re-printings which acquainted me with a truly unique tale. Davis's prose reminds me of Mari Sandoz but maybe more so of Mark Twain. The book is filled with colorful characters and some chuckle-inspiring moments. You have the sense of sitting around a campfire one autumn night during your trek out west and hearing about all that happened to young Clay Calvert. It covers a complex string of events, and follows Clay across miles and miles of Oregon back country from the high desert plains to the ocean, as he finds work in at least a half dozen different occupations from the early 20th century, and meets probably one hundred interesting characters in the process. He is running from something, but also eventually finds he is running toward something even more. The book is rich with detail and leaves the reader with a sense of what life was like "way back then." Loved it!

4 comments:

  1. My goodness, I need to find that book... add it to my growing read list. It sounds like something I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am not a reader, but i did read your review and it sounds good. i do like the cover, and the title, they are both beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.