Friday, July 29, 2016

Burying The Honeysuckle Girls


I was looking for something with a tad of mystery to it and boy, did I find it in 'Burying The Honeysuckle Girls' by Emily Carpenter.

Althea is fresh out of rehab and heads for Mobile to reconnect with her family (a father near death and a politically ambitious brother). Once there, Althea is not received well, much as she suspected she would be. Then the hint of a deep, grim secret leaks out. Althea remembers that the last day she saw her mother alive, her mother told her to wait for the honeysuckle girl. And, if she didn't come, for Althea to find her. It involves Althea's mother, grandmother and great grandmother, and what happens to the women in that family on their 30th birthday.

Determined to find out the whole truth behind the instruction her mom gave her, Althea sets out to unravel the mystery. It revolves around the mental hospital in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, the mountain region in North Alabama and Mobile.

I had a bit of a problem keeping all the characters straight but not enough so that it kept me from thoroughly enjoying every page.... and it was a page turner. Surprises were at every turn. It's not a long book so would be nice for some late summer evening reading or on vacation. I'd say that you all would probably enjoy this book...

2 comments:

  1. It sounds great, Mom, and I am looking forward to reading it! I love books set in AL! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a great summer read!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.