Friday, July 29, 2016

Back to the Beginning!

I have recently been on a Revolutionary War kick...well, actually more like an American Freedoms kick because of everything that has been going on in the news.  I go through periods where my interest goes from one subject to another, and I am a HUGE history buff.  We also watch everything dealing with history on TV that we can, and a show we enjoy is TURN: Washington's Spies, so the most recent season of that show (which ended a few weeks back) got my gears turning in this direction again.  I started a book I had had in my "to read" stack for a couple of months, called Original Intent, by David Barton and found it absolutely wonderful!  Our modern world, and the liberal press especially, would have us believe that our Country was not founded on Christian principles and that the Founding Fathers were not solid in their Faith, but that is just not true.  They want you to believe that "separation of Church and State" is in the Constitution, but that is also a lie.  The Founders believed strongly that our Law should be based on Christianity, but they safeguarded against there being a State religion, like in England, where everyone was expected to be Church of England, or much earlier, Catholic.  They believed in freedom of religion, but felt that all the Christian faiths were what this country should use a guide.  Original Intent proves this marvelously, because it is almost entirely the words of the Founders themselves, and also the original court cases that were presented soon after we became a nation.  When you read these original statements and letters, and speeches and court decisions, you realize how far flung our country has become!  It was such an important book, that I have to thank David Barton for his wonderful research and for bringing this all to light at a time when  it is desperately needed!  This book should be read by everyone who loves this Nation.  I highly recommend it!


But, back to Washington's Spies....TURN the show is not entirely factual, though it is based on the Culper Spy Ring that Washington started during the Revolution.  I of course wanted to learn the real skinny, but before I decided to read about the Culper Spy Ring, I decided I wanted to learn more about Nathan Hale, Washington's first spy who was hanged and is so well known for the wonderful dying quote: "I regret I have but one life to give for my Country."  The book I chose about Nathan Hale (called Nathan Hale, The Life and Death of America's First Spy) by M. William Phelps, was excellent.  I learned about a wonderfully patriotic young man, strong in his Christian Faith, and very well educated whose death was so tragic.  I enjoyed reading about him so much, and though I learned that his final quote is not exactly what I stated above, but was probably this similar statement: " If I had ten thousand lives I would lay them all down, if called to do it, in defense of my injured bleeding country,"  I was so enraptured by his willingness to face death.  It doesn't have the punch of the misquote, but says the same thing.  What we should remember is the sacrifice he made, and all who made similar sacrifices during that critical time!


And, on a side note...just a reminder that when a book review has been up at least five or six days that should give everyone enough time to read it, and hopefully comment, who are going to.  That's the point when, if you have a great book to share, you should consider writing a new review.  Since Mom's most recent review was posted on the 18th of this month, I started looking for a new review from someone a couple of days ago.  Since no one jumped on the train, I decided to go ahead with mine.  Let's all share...there's more variety that way!  Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. The first book sounded very good and one we all should read.. and so did the other book. You posted two very good books for us to consider, Marie. How thick are they? I know, I shouldn't care but I get antsy when the book is too long!! Weird isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both books are relatively short...about 200 pages each, and neither is a "hard" read that bogs down with a lot of extraneous technical info. In fact, Nathan Hale reads almost like a novel. Glad you responded to the post so quickly! Glad the two books sound interesting to you. I will love to see a future review on them!

      Delete
  2. And, an added note. I agree with Marie about us posting reviews. We need more participation. Come on, folks. We need to share what we are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love historical books and reading about our early history sounds really interesting. There is so much we can learn when we look back on how things started or how they ended and why it became so. There are so many brave and courageous stories that made our great country. I have not read much about the revolutionary war since my school days growing up in Massachusetts, where there was such wonderful history all around us. I will put these on my book list. Right now I am reading two wonderful books that take place during WWII. I know what you mean about being on a reading kick about a certain subject. For me it is how WWII came to be and how a man like Hitler could have come to power. It is so important to read history so we don't repeat the same mistakes. I will definitely post about these books. I am almost done with them! Finally! Summer is so busy.....x Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book you are reading sound so interesting...I know Mom & I both get on WWII era kicks at times, and I am sure there are others. So I will look forward to those reviews!

      Delete
  4. The first book sounds really interesting. Happy Sunday ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been busy! Thanks for the review. Obviously, I just posted a review. I wish more people would comment and participate as well. I was starting to feel like my reviews were only being read by the two of you. But, you two are such avid readers, you probably read enough for several people! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we get visitors who read our reviews, don't comment, but then move on. I wish there were more comments and more participation, but it's hard to get something like this off the ground. So glad you posted your latest review. I have been reading so much because I can only pack for about 30 minutes then I have to take a break, and I'm not doing much else. Usually I am also sewing a good bit, and of course keeping my house up as much as possible (but that's flown out the window! :-) ) So it's packing and reading. :-) I have also been writing some. Yesterday we went out to eat after church and when we got home, I lay on the couch and just finished the book I was reading because it was so darn good I couldn't put it down! I'll be reviewing it later (it's called On Canaan's Side). Have a great day!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.