Friday, June 17, 2016

Ordinary Daylight

                          I thoroughly enjoyed reading an autobiography by Andrew Potok.
                                                 
                                                 The name of it.... "Ordinary Daylight".


I am not sure what compelled me to read it but something drew me to it nonetheless. I do love true stories written by either the person who lived the story or otherwise.

Andrew was a very gifted painter. His life seemed to be just about perfect. He'd just passed age 40 when he began to go blind. He had retinitis pigmontosa. This was a hard blow for him. How was he to paint when he could not tell one color or shape from another? He began a roller coaster ride of deep depression, anger and hate.

He would do anything to be able to see again. So, he fell victim to the promise of a 'cure'. There was a woman in London who swore she had helped hundreds of blind people to see again. She did it through her bees. For months Andrew let her bees sting his neck so that their venom would go to his retina and he would see. Sometimes he thought it was working. Sometimes he thought he must have lost his mind to subject himself to such treatment.

Finally he returns to the U. S., more blind than ever, resentful, scared, alone. And, then he begins to learn to accept his blindness, to learn how to live with it and to turn his gift of painting into a gift of writing.

It's a very open and honest account of a desperate time in a persons life. I recommend this if you like to see people come from the darkness into light. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this review! (Guess I should have checked here before sending that email! :-) ) This sounds like a wonderfully inspirational book, and I definitely will add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least honey is medicinal! Thanks for the harrowing pick.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.