Friday, March 25, 2016

A Schoolteacher in Old Alaska

What a lovely portrait of a fascinating woman, and an interesting time in early Alaska!  A School teacher in Old Alaska, The Story of Hannah Breece is largely the work of the letters and journals of Hannah Breece, telling of her life during the early years of the twentieth century as a teacher in Alaska Territory.  It is expounded on by her niece, Jane Jacobs, who was given charge of the documents by their writer when she was getting old. What transpires is a readable, interesting account and a lovely book!  Below find my Goodreads review.  Highly recommended.


I enjoyed this book very much. It is a memoir based on the letters written by Hannah Breece during her years teaching native children in different areas of Alaska in the early 20th century. It is edited and a forward and epilogue was written by her niece, Jane Jacobs who adds additional depth to the story. I really loved Hannah-- a woman of her time, who did not criticize unduly but held her ideals and values aloft. Without her, young people would have led different lives during this critical period in Alaska's fledgling history. She made a difference. Herself a middle aged woman she encountered dangers and hardships that many young people would have been hard pressed to survive. She battled bureaucracy and corruption with genteel strength. Educating children was what mattered to her. A fascinating look into her world.

7 comments:

  1. You read the most interesting books, Marie! This sounds throughly enjoyable and enlightening to the time and place we all never knew. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting! Boy my reading has slowed but I still get some in at night before I go to sleep...well, most nights! :-)

      Delete
  2. It sounds like an interesting read. I'm a teacher myself and I love books about other teachers especially from yesteryear. I always wonder how people use to teach back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fascinating. I'll have to remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always interesting to read about the life of a person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I read this book and it is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.