Thursday, February 18, 2016

QUAIL CROSSINGS

My Book Club has one selection each month. Often I will finish that book long before the next one is to be read and discussed. So, I go on Amazon Kindle and chose an easier read, one that doesn't cost much but might provide me with entertainment.

Such was "Quail Crossings" by Jennifer McMurrain. 


Having written, myself (and had published), a story about a family's struggles through the Great Depression, I was curious about how McMurrain would handle the same scenerio. 

Although the two books touched on several similiar events, I think they were handled differently. I think the author did a good job creating her characters, laying out her timeline, displaying raw emotions, and making things happen that were realistic.
~~~~
In "Quail Crossings" Dovie Grant is a young widow. She is living with her Dad, James. It's during the Depression and everyone is struggling. Her greatest struggles are not with making ends meet, trying to survive during this difficult period of time. The loss of her husband and small daughter has torn her apart and she is having difficulty dealing with that loss.

Then, Bill, an 18 year old boy, with three siblings in tow, enters the scene. They've been abandoned by their parents, so James moves them into the house with him and Dovie. It's almost more than she can bear. 

There's a lot of different personalities involved in this merging of the two families and often there is more trouble than Dovie thinks it's worth. But, as time goes on she begins to understand why things happen as they do. 

It's a good read, an easy read. I enjoyed it and if you want something to pick up and read on a lazy, cold winter weekend, I'd recommend it.



3 comments:

  1. I'll have to look for this one. I am currently reading one about barnstorming in the 1920s called Flying Circus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes an easy read is just the ticket. Like on vacation! I'll have to keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like a really good treatment of the Depression years and the struggles of just living in difficult times! I'm anxious to read it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.