Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Pioneer Girl


It was such a joy to read Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography. I was too young to appreciate the period details and historical significance of the Little House series when I was a kid. I just loved the books for what they were. Entertaining! Now, editor Pamela Smith Hill includes Wilder's original, unpublished manuscript for the Little House series, along with an overwhelming amount of insider information, census data, annotations, diaries, manuscripts, letters, and photographs. 

The beginning of the book follows Wilder's journey to publication. It is always a shock to discover that a series of books that is so beloved by millions, could have had a difficult time getting published. But it did! Wilder and her daughter Rose worked for years to bring the novels to fruition. But, as we all know, they were used to hard work. 

Then, when you start reading the original manuscript, you'll be charmed and educated all over again. I loved reading Wilder's personal notes to her daughter and editor Rose Wilder Lane. They're written here and there through out the original manuscript. I'll let you discover those hidden gems on your own. And the conflicts of frontier life will shock and amaze all over again. Note to settlers of the past...if you find a mummified baby hanging in a tree... leave it there! You'll have to read the book to find out the rest of that haunting story.


7 comments:

  1. Sharon, I enjoyed reading this book too. Nice to read the backstory of a childhood classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am putting this one on my list. I love Laura Ingalls Wilder. I understand that she wrote a newspaper column for many years. The mummified baby has me very curious! - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful autobiography this must be, and I will have to read it. I love the triumphs of those who had to scrape and strive for their existence on this earth, and the Little House books of course are for young people so they don't go into the depths of those struggles as much. This I bet will bring it all into such perfect focus and will be a delight to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the original manuscript was written more for an adult audience. But, of course we all know that changed with the books. Let me know if you read this one. It is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to admit something I am ashamed of!!!!! I have never read one single thing by Laura Ingalls Wilder. How I missed doing that I do not know. I did recently read "A Wilder Rose" which filled in some gaps. I must rectify my lack of immersing myself in this authors wonderful books... everyone raves about them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of the books either, but I watched a lot of tv when the show was on. Does that count? I'm guessing not. One of these days I'll read them all.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.