Monday, January 11, 2016

Winter Is The Time For Home....

And reading.  If you are fortunate to have a fireplace, maybe curled up in front of the fire.  Our lives are often so busy, but I hope you are finding the time to read.  Here's another book review of a book I finished in the Fall...

It's probably one subject almost everyone finds fascinating, especially those of us who live here in the U.S. and remember John Kennedy's Presidency and tragic death.  We continue to be interested in him, and all the "possibles" his death brings up.  So, I wanted very much to read about Mary Meyer.  Not only was she one of his mistresses, she was basically unknown by the general public, and she was apparently a friend of his even after their ardor cooled.  Not only that....but she was mysteriously murdered right after John Kennedy's death AND her diary went missing!  There could be no more intriguing story!  So I read A Very Private Woman by Nina Burleigh.  It was a well-researched, well-written book.  I have to say I did not particularly care for Mary as a person.  I also do not condone the many indiscretions of our then-President.  But, the mystery of their individual deaths, and the general misogynistic attitude and atmosphere of "shady government" that existed in D.C. in the 60's is something that was like a train wreck for me on the pages I was reading....I was not happy about it, but I couldn't look away!  I am a child of the 60s, and have memories of a simpler, happier time (Viet Nam and free-love Woodstock not-withstanding).  I was too young to know that the movers and shakers of my world were not simple or innocent themselves, but actually quite diabolical and scheming!  Not a pleasant realization, but one that came to me after Kennedy's death and other events that followed in the years after.  I may have been aware of such things but of course found them confirmed by this book, and that isn't always a pleasant experience.  But,  truth  matters.  Better to understand such things fully, especially when it affected our entire lives.  So, the book was truly fascinating, and I do recommend it. 


6 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting book..I just don't sit down to read...bad on my part..I guess I spend too much time on the computer..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marie
    a wonderful contribution, and I could not imagine my life without books and this season springs to mind. I read a lot, really every genre, but most like Psycho Thriller, medico-legal treatises, True storys etc.
    I wish you still a cozy winter.
    Greetings Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  3. reading is my passion since my youth ,though now time having for reading seems a big task still i drag out some and fulfill my passion ,this book looks very interesting and informative too,i admire those writers who always try to reveal truth before public

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an interesting project you have!
    Herzlich Pippa

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.