Thursday, January 21, 2016

Reading Block Ended

Ever had a reading block?  This was a first time for me.  I found myself slowing down on my reading in December but still managed to end with 69 books read for the year.   The last one was the latest in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series entitled "The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine".

Then there was a big pause - a reading block.  I tried to pick up several books, started them, but closed them up.  Not what I wanted to read.  Even another Louise Penny mystery was just not enticing.  I went 15 days at least before I felt I could open another book.  



To break the block I had to find something light, fluffy, easy to read.  I stumbled upon a new book at the library called "Your Heart's Desire" by Melody Carson. Set in post WWII California, it was a love story involving a war widow and the heir apparent of a candy business.  Predictable, sappy, light - all of those, but it did the trick and broke the block.





Since reading that I have read another WWII book called "The Dressmaker's War" by Mary Chamberlin.  This one was not predictable, not light, not sappy but it drew me in to the heroine's life as a young woman with a dream of owning a house of couture.  WWII happened and she accompanied her "love" to Paris despite all the warning flags about him and the brewing conflict.  It's quite a gripping story.

Recommendations?  If you want a quick fluffy, feel good read, find the first one.  If you want to feel what life was like as a prisoner of war, read the second one.





5 comments:

  1. Sometimes we get in those funks. Right now I am reading but having trouble putting a review on this blog. Don't ask me why. Maybe that block you were talking about. But, I will post something soon, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back! I have a few WWII era ones I want to read and will add the second review on my list! It would be cool to read several in a row, I think, from the same era. Great posting! Glad the "reading block" is over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been the same way lately...A readers block! Thanks so much for these to book reviews....I need to get back into reading...I still have Paris In Love to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been going through a writing block. But just picking books that are so long. Like, "Gone with the wind"! I'm also half way through, "A feast for Crows"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been going through a writing block. But just picking books that are so long. Like, "Gone with the wind"! I'm also half way through, "A feast for Crows"

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.