Wednesday, January 27, 2016

David Crockett: Lion of the West

This wonderful biography of an iconic hero by Michael Wallis was such an interesting read.  Wallis did a beautiful job telling the complete story of David Crockett against the more folk-hero image many of us have of "Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier."  So much of that image was based on legend, yet the real David Crockett was  fascinating and though not always sterling in character, was someone we can admire.  It's great to see the historic perspective more clearly, and to read about his life and times, and also about his death at the Alamo.  If we can remove Fess Parker and John Wayne from our minds as we read, the true person who became the legend becomes ever more clear.  Definitely recommend!

6 comments:

  1. Great review, Marie. And, this book sounds very enticing. Will I ever read all those books I have on my list? But, I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a book for me to recommend to my husband. He grew up wearing that coonskin hat and playing in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author actually starts out with a forward about wearing his coonskin cap and watching Davy Crockett on TV and how his family went to Tennessee on vacation just so they could see where Crockett was from! Yep, I'd bet your husband would very much like this book! :-()

      Delete
  3. I might have to get this book, Marie! The legend of Davy Crockett was big over here in UK in my childhood days. Thank you for the heads-up. I'm now going over to Amazon to look for it!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have to get this for my hubby, he enjoys a good read. Thank you for your comment on my blog, sorry you came up as a no reply blogger so I couldn't answer you back. I work in Peterborough but come from London, which is why I can climb to the top of the Cathedral and get photos like that :) - well not for a while now due to my feet operation, but maybe this time next year! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like it separates the man from the myth. And the T.V. show too. Thanks for another great review!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.