Friday, December 4, 2015

Where'd You Go, Bernadette


I picked up this book at one of our cute little neighborhood lending libraries this Fall. It spoke to me. "You know you like the cover. Take it. Just take it!" yelled the book. So I did.

 Where'd You Go, Bernadette turned out to be an unusual and charming read. The story is told through the unique voice of emails, messages and letters. The central character Bernadette is a fiercely intelligent and reluctant Seattle Mother. She goes missing. And her super smart daughter Bee back tracks through all the above mentioned correspondence to locate her beloved and wayward Mother. Then there's the husband. Another techie smartie pants. Everybody is as smart as a whip! You'll like these characters.

 I get the feeling that the author, Maria Semple, is a real life Mensa wannabe herself. Because she weaved together such a complex and intriguing tale. It was a great book for an aspiring writer (like me) to read. Ultimately, the characters end up in Antarctica. She sounded like an expert.  Now that's research. 

To check out my writing works in progress visit The Chorus of the Crows



5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read! Living near Seattle makes it something I would love to read. Everyone there are 'techies'! Lap tops are required accessories! Thank you for the review. I'll check out your works in progress. - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love twists and turns and I believe this one has both. I am going to hop over to your Chorus of the Crows and see what you have been writing lately!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just back from being gone several days and have a lot of catching up to do...will get to Chorus of the Crows, soon, Sharon, for sure! Looks like an interesting book and I'm with you, I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sound like an interesting detective. Or better to say research? I think I'll try to read it as soon as I have some free time. Haven't read something good for long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loved this book, i have read it 3 times, or is it 2? any who. i would so recommend it. i even got my mom to read it, she found it at her library in large print. ( :

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.