Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Two Favorite Christmas Books

I wanted to do this post at this time to share two of my absolute favorite Christmas books with you.  The first I read many years ago, by Truman Capote.  I bought a lovely little volume in a slipcase that contained two short books, memoirs of Capote's about growing up with his aunts.  One was called The Thanksgiving Visitor and the other was A Christmas Memory.  I adore Capote anyway, and found these two wonderful stories to be absolutely delightful.  I read them several times during the holiday season over the years.

Capote as a child shown with his favorite aunt

 
The second book I came love quite late in my maturity, deciding to read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens to our grandson about five years ago.  Oh, I'd seen every version of that story known to man, all on my TV screen.  But I had never read the book!  I must say, if you have not had that pleasure, you are missing something HUGE.  Because as we read the wonderful tale, I began to realize that Dickens was TRULY a literary genius, and it is no wonder the story has been told and re-told on every stage and screen imaginable.  But not a single play or TV version does the writing of the tale justice.  The book is just THAT good!  So, treat yourself to the original Dickens work, and you will not be sorry.
 
 
Both books are marvelous and are worth the time to curl up in a favorite chair wrapped in a comforter, maybe in front of a fireplace with a cup of hot cider or tea or cocoa.  Immerse yourself in these beautiful stories this Christmas season and it will be a gift you give yourself that will last a lifetime. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


7 comments:

  1. I love your posts! :)
    Hannah
    The3musketeerssite.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Come back and visit any time!

      Delete
  2. I'm about to read Bleak House. I loved the version on pbs/tpt. Thanks for your Christmas picks! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too! Hope you enjoy Bleak House. I just finished an awesome bio of Ben Franklin that is reviewed on my Goodreads account and copied to my facebook. Check it out if you get a chance.

      Delete
  3. I have not read the Capote book - something to add to the list! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie, thank you for sharing these great books. Now that my cookie baking is done maybe I have time to read :) But, I shall take your advice and read A Christmas Carol as I love Charles Dickens. Have a wonderful, festive weekend. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments! Hope you enjoy the books if you decide to add them to your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.