Saturday, December 12, 2015

On Writing


I thought I would end 2015 with one more book review. I've been reading a lot of writing and publishing resource books this year and this one floated to the top. Reading On Writing was like talking with an old friend over a couple martians. (martini's to Jack in the Shining) A friend who just happens to be a famous author. You're having warm and fuzzy fun. You're getting a little tipsy, talking about old times, reliving past triumphs and epic failures and occasionally being offered a real heartfelt literary gem. That is what the book is like. It's more like a biography with some stiff teachable moments.

 Whether or not you're a fan of Stephen King, if you're a writer, this book will offer inspiration. Stephen King said when you're writing, to visualize at least one person that you're writing for. For him, that is his wife Tabby. Now, I like to imagine I'm writing for Stephen King. He's my new shoulder mentor. Although, if he was reading over my shoulder he'd probably tell me what a bunch of hooey I just wrote. He'd definitely tell me to go back and re-read the boring, The Elements of Style. Yawn. Because of my appalling punctuation and sentence structure crimes. Well, I'll probably never meet him, but I picked him all the same.

Writing is magic, as much the water of life as any other creative art. The water is free. So drink. Stephen King 




3 comments:

  1. Excellent review! I have some ideas for some things for the coming year....just struggling to get ready for Christmas! Though my piece for you, and some ideas or here would be good as the new year begins. I'm glad you wrote this review however. It's awesome to have a writing perspective represented here, and to enjoy another good review even as we scuttle around with our preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read Stephen King but this sounds like it would be inspirational to read so I will have to do that. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, Sharon. Looking forward to seeing a lot more great reviews in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you Marie and Latane!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.