Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Birds of Pandemonium


I have to admit, the first thing that intrigued me about Michele Raffin's book The Birds of Pandemonium was the beautiful cover. It's really hard to believe how many exotic and dazzling bird species fly in our skies and nest in our trees. I love to spot them in the jungles of Central America. But most of them live in places that only exist on my bucket list. 

But not for Michele Raffin. On a whim, she rescued a dove by the side of a California road. No kidding. That is how it all started. We've all had that impulse. To save an injured animal. Or adopt a sad, abandoned pet. Michele took that impulse and ran with it. Now, her sanctuary is one of the largest in the country and she has rescued over a 1,000 birds. And many of the 89 species she has saved were threatened. 

Well, all of that is admirable.  But the real question of a book review blog is, "How's the book?" It is so charming. The reader wakes up with Michele and experiences the subtle, sweet sounds of bird chatter. Well, it is not always so soft and sweet. Sometimes it is demanding and deafening! And the birds, all 1,000 of them, have their own personality. You will discover that not every bird story has a happy ending. But you'll be glad you entered their feathered world for a little while.

It's a good read.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I bet that was entertaining. I love birds and think that book would be right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes...gotta read this one! I loved Wesley the Owl (see my review a few months back) and would love o read this charming story of such a huge bird sanctuary. I bet she has some tales to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like a good read, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a pet cockatiel that I rescued from a roof! I would love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. 1,000 birds. Very cool. Awhile back, I saw a documentary about birds and people saving them. The show was sad and happy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.