Friday, October 30, 2015

Two Midwest Choices

I have been doing a LOT of reading, and am trying to catch up with my reviews, so you will have two this time from me (as you did last time).  These two books are very different from each other....different styles and different subject matter as well as different periods of time.  But both reflect the life of the mid-west with all its charm and struggles.

The first, The Cold Dish, by Craig Johnson was my response to Longmire being cancelled as a series on TV that I thoroughly enjoyed.  I was sad to see it go, and wanted to read at least one of the books it was based on.  Craig Johnson is a wonderful writer, and the book does not disappoint as a detective mystery with strong mid-western characters and an interesting, hard-to-figure-out story.  It is set in modern time.  Walt Longmire is a Wyoming sheriff with strength, savvy, and some inner pain.  The title of the book (and its premise) is based on the saying that "Revenge is a dish best served cold."  He and his best friend, Henry Standing Bear unravel the threads of this twisted mystery.  I really loved that both Walt and Henry were well represented by actors in the TV series.  Loved them both in the series, and saw them reflected reversely in the book.  Enjoyed it very much!


The second book as I said is very different.  If you like happy stories, this book will probably not be for you. The Homesman by Glendon Swarthout is based on a lot of research about the trials and difficulties of opening up the west in the early years, especially in the lives of the women who followed their men west.  Though it isn't a true story, it rings true in many things that happened in those early years. As a writer, Swarthout is wonderful!   It is also a fabulous movie starring Tommy Lee Jones and Hillary Swank.  I have to say that the character Mary Bee Cuddy is now one of my all-time favorite strong female characters from any book EVER!!!  Her story is so deep and rich and disturbing.  I loved this book so much, and also the movie.  Tommy Lee Jones and Hillary Swank do amazing jobs capturing their characters' lives and personalities.  But, read the book....it is wonderful!


If you have a book ready to review, please go ahead....we don't have to wait several days between reviews.  Happy Reading!!!

2 comments:

  1. I like that second book and may read it. If I ever have time. So many books, so little time!! I am presently reading "Mississippi Blues". Not sure about it yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. T.V. or movies so often spur reading. And the books are almost always better. But it is great when they do a good job with the T.V./movie counterparts like these two.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.