Thursday, October 22, 2015

Paris In Love

I loved this book. Maybe it is because I have been to Paris and LOVE that city. This book took me back, to places I had not seen, and exposed me to the everyday flavor of being Parisian. I recently said, when asked what I'd do if I won a million dollars in the lottery, that I'd go to Paris, get me a little apartment on the Rue de Seine and stay there for maybe six months, maybe a year.


That is exactly what the author, Eloise James, did. She was a professor teaching Shakespeare!! She decided to sell her house, take a leave from her job and move her family to Paris for a year. What an adventurer she is... how I admire her.

So, along with her came her husband, who happens to be Italian, and her two children ages 11 and 15. The Italian husband has a different view of Paris life than Eloise does and that often presents amusing situations. Then there are her poor children, having to change schools, learn new friends, learn a new language and they are also going through puberty. And then there is the fat cat, Milo, who gets overfed by Eloise's Mother-in-law. Mother-in-law visits are funny and we all can relate!

Eloise is set on learning as much as she can about the Parisian life and walks the streets everywhere, observing everything, discovering places and people that tourists never see. This is not a tourist guide, believe you me. The book is enchanting, funny, cute and I loved it. I think you would, too. 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful book! What fun, Mom, especially since you've been to Paris and would be familiar with the places they are surrounded with. But, what an interesting memoir. Would be fun for anyone to read, sounds like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a book I would definitely like! I have never been to Paris, but would love to someday! going to try to find this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to Paris either. I guess that's what reading is all about. Opening up new places for the old bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read it but I will; buy. Love from Poland

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd love to read that book too. Sounds fascinating.
    Greetings from Sweden!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.