Thursday, August 20, 2015

Secretariat

No one has jumped in with a new review so I will go ahead with my next one.  It is about Secretariat, by William Nack....





I think we all have had a vague knowledge of this horse's story, and perhaps many of you have seen the movie now.  But, I wanted to read the book, and I am very glad I did.  This is a difficult book in some ways.  Mr. Nack has an incredible knowledge of racing and sometimes his racing details bog down the story a bit.  It's still impressive that he has included so much between the book's covers, for the information of those who want to know.  There's a good reason for this:  he was a sports reporter during the years Secretariat was racing, and was often in on the background scenes of all that was happening, in a very real way AS it happened.  You don't often get to read a story that is written so "first hand," and that was a treat.  On the other hand, I wanted the narrative to flow with the life of this amazing horse and those around him, and it did for the most part.  Sometimes the statistics were VERY important to the narrative, and for that I am grateful because it helped me understand just how amazing Secretariat was!  I came to love this horse and was very moved by his passing, as so many people were when it happened.  I embraced his triumphs, and loved his personality, and I came to know in a degree, the people who were around him during his life.  It was a long read, but a very good one, and I recommend this wonderfully detailed, heart-felt book!  I am fully convinced that there will never be another horse like him! Kudos to Mr. Nack for putting his very heart into this book!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounded like a very good book to read. I like horse racing and have loved the stories about this particular horse. This would really fill in a lot of info I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love Secretariat...I always regret not meeting him. As well as Sea Biscuit. They are the type of stars I go ga-ga over. I have read the book, but need to reread it. Did you read Sea Biscuit? It was good, the movie was good, too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.