Wednesday, August 12, 2015

An Enthralling Memoir

My husband checked this book out, read it, and told me I should read it.  He was right.  It was wonderful.

"Growing Up" by Russell Baker is the memoir of his early life.  Born in 1925, he is 90 this year.  He gives a enthralling picture of life in the Depression, first in rural Virginia then in New Jersey and Baltimore.  A life of hardship and poverty.  A life of blissful ignorance of the larger world's problems.

The book won the Pulitzer Prize when it was published in 1982 and it was well-deserving.  Reviews on the back compare his boyhood story to those of Thurber, Mencken and Twain.  It's filled with humor and tragedy, strong women figures and n'er do well uncles, orphans and comics. His writing style is captivating and it draws you thoroughly into his life.

One thing that fascinated my husband was the town in Virginia is very close to where my husband's maternal grandmother's family was from and the town is mentioned in the book.  Baltimore landmarks are familiar to both us since we live outside the city. In fact when his mother remarries its in a town where we shop and go to the library.

Look for this one.  You won't regret reading it.


3 comments:

  1. Seems a fine read, good review...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thrilled to see your new review this morning, Marcia! I actually read this wonderful book MANY years ago...probably in the late 80s or early 90s, and loved it. I would highly recommend it to our book club members and followers, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh geez, another one!! Yes, you caught me hook, line and sinker. So, I will be ordering this one very soon. I love books about the depression since that is the time I grew up in. Thanks for alerting me to this read which I am sure I will love!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.