Friday, July 3, 2015

The Mockingbird Next Door by Marja Mills

Oh I thought someone else might do a review by now, so since they have not I am going to go ahead with my next one.  I am a little behind in getting mine posted...





If you love Harper Lee like I do...love To Kill a Mockingbird....and always wanted to know more about her, then this book is for you.  Late in Harper Lee's life (called Nelle by everyone who knew her)  she and her sister Alice decided it seems that it was time to set the record straight.  There had been so much speculation about her, and un-authorized biographies that she did not participate in, that the two sisters felt it was important that the world knew what was correct and what was not correct concerning them.  Nelle had withdrawn from public life after she was overwhelmed by the unwanted attention, and she had not spoken on the record for many years.  That doesn't mean she was unkind to anyone who came upon her in a restaurant and wished to speak with her, because she was indeed a very kind person.  But, she was also a private person. 

The choice of Marja Mills to tell their story was interesting to me since there had been many other journalists and writers who had tried to interview them and who were sent packing.  There must have been something special about Marja, something Nelle and Alice could relate to, and of course, TRUST.  They knew she would not sensationalize her connection to them.  It started slowly...she was invited into their home to speak with Alice first.  Over time, Nelle began speaking with Marja as well.  The three women became good friends, and they invited Marja (who was suffering with lupus) to come live next door to them for a time, renting the empty house there.  They made sure Marja came to know and love Monroeville and its people.  They told her anecdotes and stories about their lives.  And the result is an amazing, wonderfully intimate account of one of America's greatest writers, and her world.  I just couldn't put this book down.  I hope you also will read and enjoy this wonderful memoir.


16 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great read! I just this year read To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time and was captivated by it. I can't wait for Go Set a Watchman to be delivered in a few days! I am so looking forward to it. I wanted to thank you for the visit you paid to my blog earlier today. I usually reply be e-mail but you are a no reply blogger so I couldn't. I hope you have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing book, I must look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I intend to do just that, Marie... it's on my list. And, I may suggest it to the book club here at the Commons. It sounds fascinating and enjoyable and that's what a book should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review. Sounds like an interesting book to read if I can get one copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know this author at all, maybe his books hadn't been translated into French and I only get French books here !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting blog about books,greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a super book to read. I just loved her book and have always felt sad that there wasn't a sequel...although I know now that there is one just recently discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like such a good book and I'm going to write it down for one of my best friends as well, as To Kill a Mockingbird is her favorite book of all time.
    Thanks for sharing! ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this book before and hesitated getting it....not any more. Will find it and someday read it. I'm reading the autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder now. That too is a good/fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love 'To Kill A Mockingbird' too and would love to read this book. Thanks for sharing this and thanks also for visiting my blog. Wishing you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an interesting story of how Harper Lee found someone to write her autobiography, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting review.
    Thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this book and just purchased it for my own collection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wondered if this book would be worth reading - so nice to know it is! I really enjoy reading biographies about great authors. Thank you for sharing! - Karen

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.