Friday, June 5, 2015

Unbroken

OK, people!  Are we not reading anything, or are we just not "into" this blog?  Looks like in the past couple of months, Marcia, Mom & me are the only people posting books....and though I received an enormous amount of comments on The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, there haven't been all that many comments on most of the other posts.  Let's enjoy this book club!  You can read what you want and say what you want when you want....no pressure!  Just fun!

A recent read for me was Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand.  Many may have seen the movie, which was awesome!  But the book goes into so much greater detail about the life of this incredible man and how he survived some of the most horrible aspects of being a POW in WWII.  I  loved this book, and highly recommend it to anyone who loves an inspiring story; loves to learn about this country's heroes; or just enjoys history and biography. But, I would recommend that everyone read it for the connection it will give you to an amazing man...and other amazing men during this time, and their families.  It may be a little more work than reading some of the escapist fare we all love (yes, me too...you'll see in my next review! :-) )  but it's definitely worth it!


Laura Hillenbrand also wrote Seabiscuit which I am looking forward to reading.  She has a very readable writing style, and is passionate about the subjects she chooses to write. 

6 comments:

  1. I read Unbroken several years ago and found it gripping. I didn't see the movie because I didn't want to view the violence. Reading about it was rough as it was. And yes I agree, the author does a wonderful job telling this important story.

    I have been reading but not posting reviews. Didn't want to monopolize the space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you read it Marcia! And thanks for letting me know you have been reading just not posting....don't hesitate to post a review at least once a month (twice for sure, if there's a lull!) because the more the merrier. As long as a review has been given several days to garner comments, a new review is always welcome! I appreciate your participation, believe me! I went back and looked, and it's actually been almost three months since someone besides you, me or Mom posted a review. :-( I hope others will start participating more as well.

      Delete
  2. I have also been reading, but not posting. Some of the books I cannot find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're reading & hope you will post if you feel the urge! :-) Mom & I are always happy to have new contributors! If you can't find the books in your local library, there is a wonderful resource called abebooks.com and also of course Amazon.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I will add this to my list. Sorry, Marie, but you know I like happier words on the pages of a book. And, I love happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand that this won't be everyone's cup of tea. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.