Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Look Away Dixieland

Although Marona Posey and I are from the same hometown in Alabama, I had never heard of her. An age difference, I am thinking. But, I remember the old Posey Store at the edge of town. Last time I was back in Jasper it was still there. And, there is where Marona announced she was holding a book signing.

My middle daughter told me about finding out that Ms. Posey had written some books and I looked them up on Amazon and ordered the first three in the series. I just finished reading "Look Away Dixieland".



Skye is 8 1/2 months pregnant when she wakes up her 13 year old daughter, Carrie, and asks her to come help her. There is blood everywhere so Carrie thinks her Mom has gone into labor. There's a snow storm raging outside but Skye says they have to go to the barn. Seems Skye's no-good husband, Owen,was caught in the barn having sex with his 16 year old step-daughter, Jenna, (Carrie's sister).

There's no phone, no way to call authorities, no car, nothing. And, Owen died at the hands of one of those women. Which is not revealed right away. So Skye and Carrie load Owen onto a sled and pull him to the Tennessee River and dump his body in.

I was mesmerized from page one. But, it did drag a bit in the middle of the book as the author describes what happened to the cast of characters over the next few years. For all their backwoods ways of the early 1940s, most of them turned out pretty well. You see, Owen's body had gotten buried under a sort of overhang or cave in the river and it was over 20 years before he was discovered. A lot, and I mean a lot, had happened in those years.

All this time Owen's brother won't let the police forget that his brother Owen disappeared. Skye said he ran off and joined the Army after Pearl Harbor was bombed. But, he doesn't believe a word of it. He is certain Skye or Jenna or maybe both had killed the only family he had. And, if the police won't investigate he sure will get to the bottom of it and the women will pay.

I am ready to start on book 2 of the series. Wonder where it will head? There's another killing just before book 1 ends.



4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great read indeed, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a story! Is it solved in book 1 or must you keep reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It continues on through the series I am thinking. But, that one murder was solved in book 1.

      Delete
  3. I was so entranced by this story and by the fact that the author is from our hometown, that I immediately ordered a copy of this first book! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.