Sunday, May 24, 2015

Navajos Wear Nikes



Here is the review I wrote for Goodreads (check out Goodreads online...it's a great book site!) I actually finished the book several weeks ago, but will print this, as is:

Just finished this amazing memoir about growing up on the Navajo Reservation and cannot recommend it enough! It is a beautiful if sometimes raw look into a world foreign to most Anglo-Americans. Kristofic gives us an honest account of the difficulties he faced as a young white boy trying to "fit in." This world, so new to him in his young years becomes HIS world, though in equal measure he embraces his Anglo "clans" of British and Polish background as he becomes an adult. It is an easy to read narrative, with insight and heart. He does not over-emphasize political and racial issues, but they are there for the reader to make his/her own conclusions. Loved it!

I am really fascinated by non-fiction accounts, biographies, histories, which I know is sometimes not favored by others.  I hope that you will give this book a chance, even if you are not generally a non-fiction reader.  It was a Spur Award nominee for best western non-fiction contemporary writing, 2012.  May I add as a footnote that I also recently read Outlander, by Gabaldon and did NOT like the book!  I won't be reading any of her sequels, or watching the series!
And in a note to Marcia....you have a question, posed by Anne, in your recent review!  

11 comments:

  1. Marie - thanks for the heads up about Anne's question. Missed seeing that.
    Anne - I found The Wedding Beat at my public library. Amazon has it too because that's where I picked up at screen shot of the cover for my post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a book that I'd read. Oh my, will I ever have time to read them all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks like a good book, thanks for the review and for posting a comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps...I'm not here for the book club, but read your comment at my dolphin post and thank you for giving your opinion of Texas Rising....I've read online nothing but negative reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! I am almost always a non-fiction reader. I'll check into this...after a few books have been removed from the current stack! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I'm your newest follower...and want to say that I love that old book/map/Scrabble photo. Right down my alley! (I'm a hopeless mapophile.) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite genre - memoir and auto-biographies - thank you for this review. I think I would love this book. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Marie for your comments on my posts :)
    I am sure this read must be a great one, And Navajos must have fabulous stories to tell.
    Enjoy your sunday, keep well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. I received an email from you today but when I hit Reply, it says No Reply Blogger. Anyway, I just meant to say that I am simply a new GFC follower, not part of a book club. Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.