Tuesday, April 7, 2015

"The Forgotten Seamstress"

                     I came upon a book "The Forgotten Seamtress" recently on Amazon. 




It was about a quilt and since I am a quilter I thought it might be a fun read. I had never read anything by Liz Trenow before so I didn't know what to expect. 


I have to say it was probably the best book I have read in quite awhile. A little slow in the beginning as most books are. So few books grab you from page one and this one did not, at least for me. But, the more I read, the more intrigued I became. Trenow is quite a story-teller. 


Caroline is going through her Mother's household things in preparation for putting her Mother in a nursing home. She runs across a quilt she remembered from her childhood, one her Granny had, one that Caroline had lain under numbers of times. It was done with fancy stitches, enchanting patterns. The message embordiered into the edging of the quilt is a mystery Caroline feels compelled to solve. Upon questioning her Mother about it, she discovers that the quilt by probably made by a woman named Maria, a friend of her Grandmother, who had been in a mental hospital a large portion of her life. 


Trenow stitches the two time frames, the two lives together in such a fascinating story. Is what Caroline discovering about the quilt the truth or is it the ramblings of a mad woman, a woman who claims she was the steamstress to the royal family? The journey of discovering each and every clue takes you down paths you would not imagine. Yes, it is a 'I can't put this book down' sort of book. And yes, there is scandal woven into it's pages. I loved the ending. 


I thoroughly enjoyed "The Forgotten Seamstress" and I recommend it as a future read for any of you.

5 comments:

  1. I just finished this book! I recommend The Forgotten Seamstress,too. I enjoyed the book and could not put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Latane - so glad you liked it. I think you put it on your Amazon list after my review here: http://springtimeinmagnolia.blogspot.com/2015/03/have-you-read-this-one.html

    No reasons why it can't be reviewed more than once and speaks to how good a book it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good, Mom! I'm putting it on my list! Thanks for another great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a sewer myself, this sounds like something I would enjoy! I love a good mystery, too! Thanks for the review! - Karen

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.