Tuesday, April 21, 2015

GRANDMA GATEWOOD'S WALK


Not too long ago I read a book that was very good and told a story that was true and I love those kind, don't you? 

I've heard of the Appalachian Trail for years, too many to count, but never knew one single thing about it. I knew it was there and that was about it.



And, then I ran across this book '"Grandma Gatewood's Walk" by Ben Montgomery. I'll buy nearly any book if it's a bio or based on true facts and so "Grandma Gatewood's Walk" found it's way to my Kindle. Sorry for the poor quality of the book image above... I just couldn't get it any clearer.

Emma Gatewood had already lived a tumultous life. She'd had an abusive marriage, raised a pascal of kids alone and by 1955 she had an empty nest. The Appalachian Trail had always intrigued her and so one day she left home with a small amount of money and a few supplies. She didn't tell anyone, but her sister, where she was going. So, she started the long journey of hiking the Trail, the first woman to do so alone.

The next anyone heard of her she'd already walked 800 miles. By then she was becoming somewhat of a celebrity. The news media began to follow her every step. This disturbed Emma. She didn't like the attention but it made her famous. By September after surviving a rattlesnake strike, two hurricanes and a run-in with gangsters, she reached her goal. She stood on top of Mt. Kalahdin in Maine, sang "America the Beautiful" and pronounced to the few news reporters who stood in admiration, "I said I'd do it and I've done it".

She went on to hike the trail two or three more times. This was done after she was 65 years of age. Because of her and the interest that arose with her great feat, a movement came about to save the declining trail. Without her it probably would have fell to ruin and we would not have that beautiful part of nature that so many people enjoy today.

I just fell in love with Emma Gatewood. I admire her spirit, her courage and her determination. I think you will enjoy this book for yourself. 



4 comments:

  1. Wow! What an inspiration! I HAVE to read this! Thank you so much for this awesome review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the same kind of books - a true story is always worth reading to me! I love this woman - she finally found her 'moment' and decided to do something she always wanted to do! I also love that she is an older woman, which proves that you don't have to be young to follow your dream. The best part is that she was the catalyst to saving the trail! Great review - it goes on the book list! - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like an interesting read, very nice review and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting
    Nice reviews
    Dazzlingzest.blogspot.com
    Follow each other
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.