Thursday, April 2, 2015

A Must Read

By now you've figured that I like historical fiction.  Somehow I've gravitated towards books that take place during WWII.  Only recently did I realize that most of these were taking place in Great Britain with only a few exceptions.  The book I just finished remedies that.


All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr takes place in Germany and France during WWII.  It follows the story of Werner, an orphan and Marie-Laure, a blind French girl.  The author uses lots of time flipping, from events leading up to the war and the war itself and also flipping between the two main characters stories.  As you read you wonder how will they converge? Well they do in St. Malo, France.

Now I have to tell you that the story is gripping.  In fact I had to set it aside for several days before I could pick it up and finish it.  It wasn't one that I wanted to read the end ahead of time to be sure of where its going.  Do you do that sometimes?  I read it through and learned a lot about life in Germany before and during the war and life in France during the same time period.

I'm not going to give anymore away other than there is a valuable jewel involved in the story and a very nasty Nazi officer searching for it.

You must read this one - all 530 pages.

Marcia

7 comments:

  1. Lately I have read alot of WWII historical fiction. Just drawn to it, it seems. This book sounds intriguing. Definately one I need to read. Thanks for the thumbs up on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I was very brief with the synopsis but you can read that online on Amazon I'm sure. It was a wonderfully written book probably because the author took 10 years writing it.

      Delete
  2. I love your entry! Thanks for your visit! Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review. I love well-researched historical novels that take some time to write because the author is meticulous about the details and gives depth to the story-line and the characters. This sounds like one of those books! Will have to give it a read! You come up with some good ones, Marcia! Thanks for being such a faithful contributor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I do a lot of reading and sometimes think I should be doing something more constructive. But reading is one of my hobbies so that makes it okay, right?

      Delete
  4. Sounds like something I would really like! Such an amazing time in history with so many perspectives. I like that there are two in this story. I'll put this on my book list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter just read this a bit back...I think she liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.