Thursday, February 12, 2015

SPARROW MIGRATIONS

When I discovered this book on Amazon I knew I had to read it. Although a work of fiction, the story was woven around the crash of Flight 1549 into the Hudson River.

But, the one thing that drew me to the book was the fact that the main character was a 12 year old boy with autism. My grandson, Owen, has autism and he lives in New York. I could so relate to the circumstances and the character.



Robbie, a 12 year old, is on a ferry boat and sees the plane go down in the Hudson River. He is fascinated by the fact that birds brought that big plane down and soon he is on the computer looking up everything he can find about birds. This interest weaves itself throughout the book with Robbie gaining new skills and developing a love that brings him to high places and gives him a great, new relationship with his Dad and others.

However, Robbie isn't the only character that finds the crash changing their lives forever. There are Deborah and Christopher who have infertility issues that they must face and solve. And then there is a preacher's wife, Brett, who has kept a secret for years. The news coverage of the crash threatens to expose her secret and destroy her family.

The author did an excellent job in developing the characters and reminding us that we are all intertwined in one way or another and it is only in the caring nature that we exhibit that often gives us hope and direction.

This book was a semi-finalist in the 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest. I say Cari Noga deserves the award.

I loved the book. I found it hard to put down. I must look to see if Ms. Noga has written another book. I surely hope so.

You readers, be sure to put this one on your 'to read' list!! You won't be sorry.

3 comments:

  1. "Sparrow Migrations" sounds intriguing. It's interesting to read stories in which one event changes many in various ways. I've already written this down on my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I had never heard of this one (or many we have all been reviewing!) I will add it to my list. Just received Lives in Ruins in the mail. Still reading Tudors, though. :-) I'll get to all of these eventually....it's good to have so many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.