Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Harper Lee's new book

I've just been thinking... lordy help me, that's dangerous!!

But, news that a manuscript written by Harper Lee long ago and never published by her has given me 'food for thought'.  First I was excited. Sort of like when the sequel to 'Gone With The Wind' was written. But, that was a huge disappointment for me. Besides, it wasn't written by Margaret Mitchell but some other dude hoping to latch onto the Mitchell star.

But, another book written by Lee.. Wow. I'm from Alabama so I totally relate to her and I was gonna be first in line to purchase the book.

But, as I find out more about the situation I am concerned. Lee is old... she's possibly not in the best mental state. I hate to think about her being taken advantage of. And, why did she not ever publish it herself. She probably didn't want to, that's why. And, now, somebody else is doing it. I don't like that idea.

The latest I've heard is from friends of Harper Lee's who say that is not what she would have wanted. So, it makes me ask questions.

If Harper Lee is incapacitated who is holding her best interest at heart?

I've written all my life. Nothing I felt noteworthy to have published. In fact most of it is pitiful and I wouldn't want anyone to read it but me. What is going to happen to my writings when I am old. he he. I am old. Better watch out.. hide my stuff.

And, the two books I did have published. It just occurred to me... who will get my royalties when I am no longer here? Not that they are many, but now I have got to worry about setting all that up.

Poor Harper!! At least she gained much fame and following with 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. But, at what price?

6 comments:

  1. I too was extremely excited when I first heard the news. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my absolute all-time favorite books! But when I read that this is happening AFTER the death of her attorney (and sister) Alice, who she always considered her "Atticus" I wonder if that's why. If her sister is no longer here to protect her and she is in a poor mental state, this could be a case of the publishers wanting to "cash in" on Harper Lee's fame in a way that she never intended. In that case, it's not a good thing. I am happy that this is something SHE wrote, and not a sequel written by someone else, but I worry that if this was truly against her wishes, if it should be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her sister who was also her companion, lawyer and protector died last year leaving Harper Lee very vulnerable. So I find the timing of the release of this book too coincidental. And suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that this manuscript was written before To Kill and rejected by the editor who asked her to write from a different perspective. The manuscript was recently rediscovered so it is not something recently written by Harper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's really written by herself, I'd be curious too. But you're right. What if she's been taken advantage off? It's something we'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly is an interesting situation and sad in a way. So many elderly are taken advantage of.......Hopefully the profits will go to her and her estate and not just to the publisher. 'To Kill a Mockingbird' was such a beautiful book - I would read the new book just because it was written by her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the books that my mother read aloud to each one of us when we reached a certain age, and I was really excited to hear that there was another book written (and now published) by the same author. Perhaps though, after reading your post and the comments above, my response to the new book should be a little more subdued. Would love to hear what you think of the book. www.artisanemily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.