Wednesday, February 4, 2015

GONE GIRL

                                                                 GONE GIRL

                                                               by Gillian Flynn


It seems that 'Gone Girl' is being read and discussed in a lot of places. I just finished it. It was a 'The Commons Book Club' selection of which I am a member. And, I immediately watched the movie on TV.  I had my review ready to post but  Marcia beat me to it!! I am thrilled about that. She did an excellent review. Hope  you won't mind getting my take on the novel.

 I had never read Gillian Flynn so I didn't know what to expect. It wasn't a masterpiece type of book nor was it a fabulous movie but............
                                              both held me spellbound from the git-go.

Oh my gosh... a couple (Nick who is from a Midwestern family (parents divorced) and Amy (an upper class gal from New York who is famous through books written about her childhood) meet and fall in love. It seems perfect... Right?

Not so fast, there buckaroo.  Nick loses his job, then moves them to his hometown in Missouri. It's their fifth anniversary and Nick comes home to find Amy gone and evidence that there had been a struggle. Amy has left her list of clues (for the annual anniversary treasure hunt that she adores doing and Nick can't ever figure out). The clues begin to cast an ugly shadow over her husband.

His handling of the situation looks suspicious to the police. Nick doesn't look too upset and he is caught in lie after lie. It doesn't look good for the fellow, no, not one bit.

                                                           (Drum Roll, please)

Then Part Two of the book begins and what a surprising turn of events. It twists this murder into a double knot. You sit reading, turning page after page, unwilling to put the book down. What will happen next?

I had no inkling of where this book was headed and enjoyed how Glynn portrayed the characters,
Nick, a wimp of a guy,
            Amy, she manipulates everything and everybody.
                    a couple of shady people from Amy's past who are sort of suspicious
                               her doting but disconnected parents,
and Nick's twin sister, his soul mate and buddy who begins to lose faith in her brother.

I won't spoil it for you who have not read "Gone Girl" but I didn't think the ending was what it should have been. But, then Gillian Flynn did not ask me, did she?

                                                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 comments:

  1. Another wonderful review! Can't wait to read this one, and also see the movie. Just ordered Lives In Ruins by Marilyn Johnson from abebooks (excellent review found here on Springtime in Magnolia Book Club....scroll back!) ....will be reviewing it when I get to it. I'm deep into The Tudors, which is very thick and will likely not get a review here because of the length, and it may take me a while to read it (but it's excellent!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book but I saw the movie. OMG, it was kind of heavy for me. I'll never understand how crazy a person can get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this on vacation so that I could see the movie soon. It was so engrossing. What a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello greetings and good wishes.

    Excellent review of the book. It appears to very interesting.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this sounds very intriguing. I have avoided reading the book and watching the movie because I thought it may be too heavy, but I love a good mystery, so I may read this if I have time. Good review!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.