Saturday, January 3, 2015

'The Pecan Man'


As this Book Club takes off on it's first flight, I thought I'd begin with a review of a book I recently read. 'The Pecan Man' was written by Cassie Dandridge Selleck.


 
I was busy skimming through some books listed on Amazon suitable for book club members when I ran across this book. The title caught my attention right away. So, I asked my book club here at the apartments if they'd like to read it and so we did. Our discussion on this book will be this coming Monday at our meeting.
 
'The Pecan Man' was the first place winner in a 2006 Florida State writing completion.
 
It's a story about a homeless black man who is hired by a white widow to care for her lawn. As the tale progresses, there is a murder victim found near where the Pecan Man camps out in the woods.
He is arrested.
 
There's some unexpected twists and turns. In a day when blacks and whites were on different social planes, the widow befriends The Pecan Man. She sees in him what others do not. When the story really grabbed hold of me (almost halfway through) I could not put the book down. When I read the last page and closed the book, I was sad that there wasn't more... another page, another book.
 
Being set in the south, it's sort of a mixture of 'To Kill A Mockingbird' and 'The Help'. If you enjoyed either of those books I know you will love this book.
 
On Amazon there were 945 reviews for this book. I looked at a number of them and was not surprised to find that the reviews I saw were glowing and most complimentary to the author.
 
It's a doggone good read!
 
Who will be our next book club contributor?

2 comments:

  1. I have read this one and loved it! I started a loval book club and since we are in the middle of nowhere and would be impossible to have an actual author present, Cassie was kind enough to write us a long email with regard to the book. She is a great person as well as a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really interesting, Mom! Oh, how neat that Roan's book club had a long email from the author to share with her group! Might be something to think about doing in your "in person" book club, Mom. I will definitely be adding this one to my list too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.