Monday, January 5, 2015

Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam


I will begin our book club with a book I read a while back and truly enjoyed:


Many of you have seen the movie October Sky but if you are looking for a wonderful read, the book of this true story, Rocket Boys (also called October Sky) by Homer Hickam is a great choice.  It not only gives you insight into the difficult lives of the members of a coal mining town community back in the late 50s and early 60s, it also tells about a boy's struggle to make his dreams come true.  Not only will you be inspired by Buddy and his friends, you will also never forget the strong characters of his Dad, Homer Hickam Sr. and his Mom, Elsie Lavender Hickam.  Homer Hickam Jr. (Buddy) became one of my favorite authors after this read, and I have gone on to enjoy several of his other books.  He is a wonderful inspiration always!

Review written by Marie Carmean...

Now it's your turn!

3 comments:

  1. I saw the movie, Marie, but I have never read the book. Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one either, but liked the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have not watch the movie not read the book yet. How was it? the book is better or the movie?

    NOw am reading an exciting book :S" by J J ABrams

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.