Monday, January 12, 2015

"Letters from Skye" by Jennifer Brockmole


If you were a fan of "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society", a most wonderful book, than you will like "Letters from Skye".  Set in two time periods WWI and WWII you follow two stories that are intertwined by reading letters from the characters involved.

As I first started this book I really thought that the author was trying too hard to be like the Guernsey book and I almost gave up on reading it.  But I hung in there and became absorbed in the story: in the mystery of what happened to the young man who went to war in the Great War and was never heard of again after being captured, and why the main character is estranged from her family on the Isle of Skye for all these years.

It has been awhile since I read it so the names of the characters escape me.  I do remember how it turned out, but won't reveal that and spoil the story for you.  I do know it's a book I would read again and may do so if my book club chooses to read it.


10 comments:

  1. I have been SO into WWII reading lately so this sounds like I would be chair-bound for a spell with this book. Not sure why I am fascinated by WWII, maybe because that is when I was little and I remember parts of it. Who knows. Great review, Marcia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good...both of them! I suspect I might start with the Geurnsey book first and then Skye. I enjoyed the review. It's great learning about new books one may never have heard of. Often they become absolute favorites if you give them a chance, and I have a feeling that's going to be happening to me a lot as a result of this book club! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, you must read the Guernsey book. It's my all time favorite - read it 3 times at least and still enjoy it all. It too takes place in WWII.

    Latane - Have your read "La's Orchestra Saves the World" by Alexander McCall Smith? Another one from the WWII time period and totally enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Marcia. That one has escaped me, too.

      Delete
  4. The world wars are a fascinating time in history for the book to be set in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good that you didn't give up Marie.

    Similar things had happened to me. Tried to read but can;t seems to be able to absorb the story. Hence I stopped and come back to it later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. It's always nice to see what others think of a book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good for you!! I'm not a reader but this will be a nice way to fill up some of that extra time you have!!!!

    and this was a great review!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks good, thanks for sharing!

    xx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore the Guernsey book so must try this recommendation, thanks for sharing
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.