Saturday, January 10, 2015

House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III


I cannot praise this book enough.  My daughter and I watched the movie, and were so struck by this powerful story, we wanted to read the book.  It instantly became one of my favorites of all time.  Dubus is such a literary genius, I was drawn to read everything he has written, and discovered in the process his equally talented father, Andre Dubus.  There could be no better tale to represent the trials we are going through in a very human way than this book, which was written in 1999, and foreshadows so much.  The book was runner up for the 1999 National  Book Award for Fiction.  I can't imagine what won over it that year.  It isn't a heavy, difficult read, but is extremely well-crafted.  And it has a huge heart, and makes you think about we as humans and the lives we have that touch briefly, with sometimes tragic consequences.  I hope you will read it....you will never be the same. (The movie is great too!)

Review written by Marie Carmean 

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very powerful read. I had not heard of it before. Thank you for introducing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the book made a very great impression on you. I know how it feels to find a great author and then read everything he wrote...and wish he wrote more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the book much more than the movie. Fortunately I read the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this book sitting on my shelf for years! After this great review, I'm wondering why I've taken so long to get to it. Time to read it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.