Thursday, January 22, 2015

Anna Quindlen's "Still Life with Bread Crumbs"

It's been awhile since I've read a book by Anna Quindlen, so long in fact that she has quite a long list of books now that I haven't read.  I don't remember how I happened upon this one, but I'm glad I did. What a wonderful story!

The lead character Rebecca Winter is a famous photographer whose signature work is the title of this book.  She's in her 60s and finding it difficult to make ends meet what with supporting her parents one of whom has dementia and is in assisted living.  She also gets tapped by her adult son for funds.  She's squeezed from both sides with no inspiration for the next photo series.  She abandons expensive  New York City for the woods because she can sublet her apartment for big bucks and cheaply rent a rundown cottage in the woods. [Though Quindlen never says where it is, I'm thinking it's the Adirondacks.] She meets lots of characters, finds inspiration and makes friends.  One of my favorite characters is Sarah who runs the local tea shop and has troubles of her own including a scumbag for a husband.  Then there's the roofer Jim Bates who removes a raccoon from the attic beginning a friendship that will include sitting in a tree blind to photograph eagles.


Quindlen doesn't write the story with a linear progression of time.  There's a forward progress, then a backward progress then a look into the future as an aside and then back to the present.  It sounds strange but it works so well for this book.

Looking for a quick heartwarming read?  Pick up a copy of "Still Life with Bread Crumbs".

Marcia


8 comments:

  1. It sounds great, Marcia! I will add it to my list of future reads. Glad you contributed to the club again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that's my kind of book. Let's see, I am reading a book right now and have one other in my list on my Kindle. I am thinking this one is the next one I will order. I know I am going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered me a hard copy of this book this afternoon. Can't wait until it gets here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Latane - good for you! It may be one of those books to read more than once. I may suggest it to my book club when we meet to choose books next August.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fascinating read, Marcia! I'm sure there's a lot in the book with which we bloggers/amatuer photogrpahers can identify.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great, I will add it to my list of future books. Thank for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her books. Usually it's well written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wondered if I would like Anna Quindlen's books and always wanted to read a review. I think I would enjoy this book! It will go on my list. Thanks for the review! Karen

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments more than you know. Thanks for stopping by.